An assurance engagement is when an auditor provides a written conclusion on a subject matter using suitable criteria for which the accountable party (company management) is responsible
• Assurance standards- do not have to understand the internal control structure.
• Assurance standards do require training and proficiency in assurance engagements and knowledge of the subject matter.
• Assurance engagement may be on Financial Info or other info i.e. A process
• Attest and audit engagements are both assurance engagements (see pg.7 Figure 1-2)
• Example: Attest to the quality of controls in an e-business environment